Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving... plus a recipe!

Today is the greatest day to remember all we have in our lives. You seriously cannot complain on a day dedicated to giving thanks! {Even though I may or may not have complained this morning when we found ants in our house... please forgive me.}

Things I am grateful for:
*A loving, smart, funny, and kind husband. He truly is perfect for me.
*Family - immediate, extended, in-laws... all of them.
*A nice apartment
*A healthy body
*Music
*Dance
*Friends - old and new :)
*Creativity
*Accomplishing goals
*Space heaters
*My grandmother's bed
*Kind and generous people


I want to share with you guys my FAVORITE Thanksgiving recipe! I've never made it by myself until today, and it requires thorough preparation - meaning start the night before you're going to eat it. It is my mother's famous...

Thanksgiving Jello Dessert

Ingredients
1 green 3 oz. package of Jello
1 orange 3 oz. package of Jello
2 lemon 3 oz. package of Jello
1 & 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 cups whipped cream (or) 4 cups Cool Whip


Directions
I. The night before:
1. Prepare 1 package of each color of jello separately, and set in 8" square pans or pie tins over night.
2. Mix together graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter and spread in a 9x13 pan. Chill overnight.
{This is the BEST part of the dessert... mmm. I always try to scoop up more of the crust then my portion would allow. Also, I was going to buy a box of regular graham crackers and crush them into crumbs, but on my way to the check-out lane I saw a box of graham cracker CRUMBS staring me down as if to say, "I am here to save you." It was about the same price as the box of graham crackers, so you can do whichever method you prefer.}

II. Several hours before serving:
1. Boil 1 cup water in small saucepan. Add the other package of lemon jello and sugar and stir until sugar and jello dissolve. Add pineapple juice. (I bought canned pineapple chunks, opened half of the lid, and poured juice into my measuring cup. I knew we'd eat the pineapples later).
2. Put contents in bowl and chill in refrigerator till slightly thickened (about 45 minutes). It should look like this:
{I know you're loving these finger shots}

3. Add whipped cream (or) Cool Whip to lemon jello mix. {I'm kind of obsessed with Cool Whip. Even the generic kind is equally to die for.}
It should be airy and fluffy. Kind of like mousse.
4. Take your 3 jellos out of the fridge and cut into small 1/2" cubes.
5. Add jello cubes to lemon jello mixture and spread onto refrigerated crust.
6. Chill for several hours before serving.

And wha-la! A very Happy Thanksgiving treat!

You could also make this for Christmas and use red and green jello. :) Have a great turkey day!

2 comments:

  1. why am I not there right now?? I want some of this so bad!! looks amazing. happy thanksgiving cousin of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are are puh-LENTY of leftovers waiting for you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete